Step 1: Create New Feature Flag
In this step, you’ll create your first feature flag. A feature flag can have many options including targeting rules, configuration, and more. We won’t cover all possible options here. In this example, we’ll create a simple feature flag that has two variations that you can control to show or hide a feature.
To create a feature flag:
- Open the Unlaunch Console at https://app.unlaunch.io
- Switch to Production environment using the dropdown on the top-left corner.
- From the Feature Flags page, click on Create Feature Flag.
- The New Feature Flag screen asks you to input values to create a new flag. In the Name field, type in the name that you’d like to call this flag e.g.
2fa-rollout. Leave the rest of the fields to their default values and click on Save.
- The feature flag is created immediately and you’re taken to the Flag Details page. On this page, click Enable Flag to enable your flag in the current environment. On the popup asking you to confirm, click Yes.
At this time, you have created a feature flag with two variations : on and off and have enabled it. Because this flag is enabled and there are no targeting rules, it will serve variation specified under Default Rule, which is on. In other words, anyone who calls this flag will get the on variation. We can change this behavior, as we’ll see later.